France’s Largest Telecom Operator, Orange, To Enter Nigerian And South African Markets
Telecom operators in Nigeria and South Africa should be worried for their market shares. This is because Orange, France’s largest telecom operator, believes it would benefit from having a wider footprint in Africa and will give itself a few months to make further inroads into the contient, Chief Executive Stephane Richard told Les Echos business newspaper.
Here Is What You Need To Know
- Richard declined to comment on a possible interest in South Africa’s MTN Group Ltd.
- The Middle East and Africa, where Orange has a presence in 18 countries, is the company’s fastest-growing market.
Download GetFundedAfrica’s e-Guide to fundraising for start-up’s Here
- The region makes a large chunk of its revenues from payment transfers — a key part of the group’s diversification into financial services.
- Orange said earlier this year it was bringing its operations in the Middle East and Africa into a single entity, paving the way for a potential listing of the operations that could raise cash to invest in overseas expansion.
- Richard said Orange would also be looking at bolstering partnerships with health companies or institutions.
- Earlier this year, the French telecom operator inaugurated an Orange Middle East and Africa operational head office in Morocco.
“GetFundedAfrica is a technology-based, business information platform operated by Afriscaper Research & Consulting Limited with a mission to reduce barriers to funding for African businesses. GFA matches investor ready, African & African-Diaspora owned companies with global investors, leveraging market research, industry data and news aggregation“
GFA’s must read weekend feature entitled Making Finance Work For Agriculture in Africa [Part 1] highlights Agriculture as a Wealth Creator in Africa, and explains how Unlocking Agriculture Value Chains could affect African economies. Read more
Are you an entrepreneur? Share your story with us and get featured on our platform send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org